Mt. Toubkal ethical trek – 13th – 17th May 2017
Tourism Concern has two clear aims:
- We expose tourism’s worst human rights abuses and campaign against them.
- Equally importantly, we promote tourism that benefits local people in tourist destinations.
We know that many of our Members enjoy travelling and want to better understand the impacts of tourism in destinations, so last year we organised a trek of Jbel Toubkal (4,167 m) to help raise funds for Tourism Concern via sponsorship – this combined ethical travel, support for local communities and raised money to help us campaign against exploitation in the tourism industry. However not everyone is comfortable asking for sponsorship and the trip excluded anyone who wanted to spend some time in Imil and Marakesh, but who didn’t want to climb Toubkal.
So this year we have organised another trip to Marakesh and Imil – again with one of our trusted partners, Discover Ltd, staying at the award winning Kasbah du Toubkal. There is no sponsorship or fundraising needed – just join the trip and enjoy. Any profit from the trip (after ensuring all local guides etc have been paid a decent wage) will go towards our fund to develop a code of conduct for tour operators engaging with indigenous people.
This trip however will also include an educational element, with a half day (optional) of presentations and discussions, visits to local projects and community organisations in Imil to consider the impacts of tourism on the local community.
Additionally the trip will include, again optional, a trek to reach the summit of Jbel Toubkal (4,167 m). Those who don’t want to do the trek can either walk locally, spend time in Imil or just enjoy the beautiful gardens and terraces of the Kasbah.
- Day 1: (Saturday 13th May 2017) – Arrive Marrakesh (most flights arrive around 10:30am). Check into a local Riad in Marrakesh on half board basis (Riad Slitine). Afternoon and evening to explore Marrakesh
- Day 2: (Sunday 14th May 2017) – breakfast at Riad and morning in Marrakesh before transferring to the Kasbah du Toubkal (full board)
- Day 2 (afternoon) – introduction to responsible tourism in the Imil valley. Includes presentations, discussion and visits to local projects and community groups (optional).
- Day 3: (Monday 15th May) Those doing Jbel Toubkal (details) would start their hike around 10.00hrs and walk to the Neltner hut. Include picnic (substantial) en route and night at Neltner hut. Those not doing Toubkal would have the option of a day or half day hike as they wish.
- Day 4: (Tuesday 16th May) Those doing Toubkal would start early and reach the summit before returning to the Kasbah for overnight. Those not doing Toubkal would have the option of a day or half day hike as they wish.
- Day 5: (Wednesday 17th May) – transfer to Marrakesh for departing flights
Apart from lunch and dinner on the first day the trip is included on a full board basis and includes all transfers (exc transfers to and from airport). Flights (currently around £100) and insurance are excluded.
Accommodation is twin rooms. We are offering a special Tourism Concern Member rate of £469 (£549 non members).
This is a great opportunity to visit Marrakech, the Imil valley, stay in an award winning lodge and climb north Africa’s highest peak – all with like minded Tourism Concern supporters.
There are only 12 places so if interested please register below – we need a £50 deposit now, balance 10 weeks before the trip.