Kathmandu Environmental Education Project (KEEP) is a registered non-profit, non-governmental organisation. Our mission is to ensure the future ecological and cultural prosperity of Nepal and its people by maximising the benefits and reducing the negative impacts associated with tourism.
KEEP’s Travelers’ information Centre offers free up-to-date, independent and unbiased trekking information. Also free Wifi, and tourists’ Embassy Registration Services.
We promote sustainable tourism and provide environmental and cultural education to travellers and the tourism industry through free, impartial information and training programmes
We enable sustainable development through outreach projects, training and resources in order to seek a more equitable distribution of the economic benefits of tourism for the people of Nepal
We conduct research and development activities on environmental and associated social issues.
We offer free travellers’ information to Tourism Concern Members.
- We maintain and strengthen the quality of life in our local communities, including social structures and access to resources, amenities and life support systems, and avoid any form of social degradation or exploitation.
- We engage and empower local communities in planning and decision making about the management and future development of tourism in the area, in consultation with other stakeholders.
- We respect and enhance the historic heritage, authentic culture, traditions, and distinctiveness of the community.
- KEEP encourages its members as well as conducts several programs for the community well-being, working closely with direct stakeholders. We also educate tourism professionals on heritage and cultural preservation.
- We maximise the contribution of tourism to the economic prosperity of the local area, including the proportion of visitor spending that is retained locally.
- We seek a widespread and fair distribution of economic and social benefits from tourism throughout the local community, including improving opportunities, income and services available to the poorest.
- We strengthen the number and quality of local jobs created and supported by tourism, including the level of pay, conditions of service and availability to all without discrimination by gender, race, disability or in other ways.
- KEEP as a not for profit and fully supports a wide sector of people and community welfare.
- We maintain and enhance the quality of landscapes, both urban and rural, and avoid the physical and visual degradation of the environment.
- We support the conservation of natural areas, habitats, and wildlife, and minimize damage to them.
- We minimise use of scarce or non-renewable resources in the development of tourism facilities and to minimise pollution of air, water, land caused by the generation of waste by tourism enterprises and visitors.
- KEEP educates and trains people, including professionals, in environmental protection.