Set up in 1989 Tourism Concern is a unique independent charity dedicated to campaigning for ethical and fairly traded tourism. We are largely funded by individuals who are often keen travellers themselves and who want their holidays to be as good for the people they visit as for themselves.
By becoming a Member and joining our Campaign for Better Tourism you are helping us to:
- Improve working conditions for tourism workers
- Lobby UK tour operators to be more socially responsible
- Develop guidelines for best practice
- Give a voice to local communities threatened by exploitative tourism development.
Support from our Members enables us to run our campaigns, however as a member you will also join a global network of ethical travellers and professionals; get invited to events organised by us or other partners; and have access to complimentary copies of all our reports. In our dedicated Members’ Area you can connect with other Members, discuss issues and give feedback on our partners.
Members are also entitled to free or discounted entry to our conferences and seminars as well as access to discounts and exclusive benefits with partners listed in the online Ethical Travel Guide.
The easiest way to join (and get immediate access) is by signing up below. Alternatively if you prefer to pay monthly you can set up a direct debit online.
Free postage for UK residents only. Outside of the UK postage will need to be paid. Student Members can purchase the guide for half price.
** UK only
Membership is a yearly subscription and will be renewed automatically. You can manage your membership via the members.
In addition to the above we also work with carefully selected partners who have a genuine commitment to continuous improvement on their social performance including active approval and continued commitment at senior management level. Organisations can apply to be partners, and will be assessed by Tourism Concern, in the following areas:
- Ethical Tour Operators Group (for UK tour operators) – by application and assessment
- Ethical Volunteering Group (for organisations sending volunteers overseas) – by application and assessment
- Academic Network (for Academic Institutions that have an interest in ethical and sustainable tourism) – by application [/yes_list]