Finca Esperanza Verde (FEV) began as a unique experiment in ecotourism – part organic coffee farm and part tourist lodge. Started in 2000 by Sister Communities of San Ramon from North Carolina, the farm provides local Nicaraguans with profitable and sustainable ways to share their culture with visiting tourists and has received international recognition as a model of poverty alleviation through sustainable tourism and other socially responsible programs.
The ‘Finca” sits prominently on the edge of a quiet country road at 4000 ft (1200 mts) above sea level – offering spectacular views of the Dariense mountain range and the green valley of Matagalpa far below. As a working organic coffee farm with an informal atmosphere, you can experience the richness of the culture while you enjoy a hike through the cloud forest on one of our five well groomed trails, exploring up close and personal the life of the ‘campesinos’ and the diverse flora and fauna of the region.
Finca Esperanza Verde strives to be catalyst for development in the county of San Ramn, Matagalpa, Nicaragua – demonstrating the benefits of a healthy cross-cultural exchange between this small, traditional Northern-Nicaraguan community and travelers from all over the globe. Finca Esperanza Verde strives to affirm the validity and importance of creating global ties of peace and friendship, while maintaining local values and customs.
We are able to offer a 10% discount to Tourism Concern Members. Furthermore, we are able to provide additional exclusive benefits to Tourism Concern Members – we will arrange a special itinerary of activities plus an organic coffee cupping.
To Create small business opportunities for local women and their families to improve their quality of life and provide them the opportunity to learn business skills. For example, provide “loans” so a small store can be started or support someone who has a special skill to create goods and sell them elsewhere.
To create internship opportunities for college students interested in working at FEV and the local community in areas of environmental studies, eco-tourism, and organic farming, etc.
To provide funding to bring in experts in environmental studies, organic farming, and responsible social practices in order to pass along that expertise to members of the local communities. To learn more follow this link.
Finca Esperanza Verde supports local development through the creation of quality employment in the local community, including:
- Paying of higher salaries than comparable labor in the local job market
- Insuring worker and their families though the Nicaraguan Institute of Social Security (INSS)
- Looking for new ways to further develop the professional abilities of each worker
- Contribute to projects and human development initiatives in San Ramon through
- Direct donations to Sister Communities of San Ramón (SCSRN)’s project fund
- Facilitate donations brought by visitors to FEV to the local community
- Be a leader and example of eco-tourism in Nicaragua though:
- Continuing to create positive news about Matagalpa, and helping to lift the overall image of sustainable tourism in Nicaragua
- Being an example of the positive environmental and economic benefits that come with organic production of coffee.
La Chispa School: La Chispa is located on FEV’s property as a privately run school which gives kids from very rural, local areas the opportunity to learn. Without La Chispa, students from the surrounding area would have to trek many miles to school or not attend at all. Being a one-room schoolhouse with one teacher, the students, ages from 4 to 15, are very self sufficient in their learning but are challenged by the limited resources. We hope to expand their learning environment and access to guidance from the teacher by building a preschool and providing a salary for a second teacher.
A separate space and teacher for the younger children will give them the individualized guidance that they need and allow for the other teacher to spend more time with the older students. We are excited about this project and what it will offer for the children. With your helpful donation, we hope to begin the planning and construction of the preschool as soon as possible.
Finca Esperanza Verde (Green Hope Farm) Ecolodge, Organic Coffee Farm and Nature Preserve, is a cool green and tranquil paradise located in the lush mountains of northern Nicaragua. We provide an environmentally-friendly source of income for local people and financial resources for community projects. The farm, ecolodge and nature preserve run by local staff offers comfortable lodging for 20 guests, shade-grown organic coffee, rain forest walks over well marked trails and other natural wonders. Our Sustainability Practices include:
- Organic farming methods.
- Farm to table Organically grown, seasonal and local foods served
- Landscaping design and plant species selection to nurture biodiversity
- Water and energy management through the use of hydropower and photovoltaic solar panels
- Invitation for guests to reuse towels and linens to save energy and water
- Reusable, environmentally friendly cloth napkins
- Biodegradable cleaning and laundry products
- Plastic, paper, glass and aluminium recycling.