How to volunteer overseas ethically
Anyone thinking of volunteering overseas should attend this Ethical Volunteering Conference.
10am to 2pm, Saturday, November 4th 2017, David Lean, Braithwaite Hall, East Croydon, which is a 11 min train journey from London Bridge. Also fast, direct trains from Kings Cross, Gatwick, Luton, Brighton, Victoria and London Bridge.
Tourism Concern’s yearly Ethical Volunteering Conference will this year focus on volunteers themselves. How can you ensure that you have a rewarding and enjoyable experience whilst also giving something positive back in the place where you volunteer?
What does the conference include?
- Why are you volunteering and how do you choose a placement which suits you?
- What makes a volunteering organisation ‘ethical’?
- What are the questions that you should ask to ensure you volunteer with the right people and project?
- What should you expect of your ethical volunteering organisation?
- What training and support will you be given?
- How will your money be spent?
- What are some exciting things you might volunteer to do
- 9:30 Registration (access via the library)
- 10am Introduction
- 10:15 Gap Year and International Volunteering Standard (GIVS) and volunteering as ethical tourism.
- 10:45 Film The Voluntourist
- 11:15 Key points from film and group discussion on motivations for volunteering.
- 12:00 How to find the right organisation for you? (ie matching your motivations as discussed above with a suitable placement).
- What makes a volunteering organisation ethical?
- Volunteering with children.
- 13:00 Volunteering opportunities
- 13:30 Panel presentation and discussion / Q&A
- 14:00 Informal discussions with volunteering organisations / networking.
Read more: Should I volunteer Overseas?