How to volunteer overseas ethically
Anyone thinking of volunteering overseas should attend this Ethical Volunteering Conference.
10am to 3.30pm, Saturday, November 26th Braithwaite Hall, East Croydon, which is a 11 min train journey from London Bridge. Also fast, direct trains from Kings Cross, Gatwick, Luton, Brighton, Victoria and London Bridge.
- Tickets £15 including lunch
- Tourism Concern Members free (use coupon code in Members area)
- 50% discount for student card holders
Tourism Concern’s yearly Ethical Volunteering Conference will this year focus on volunteers themselves. How can you ensure that you have a rewarding and enjoyable experience whilst also giving something positive back in the place where you volunteer?
What does the conference include?
- Why are you volunteering and how do you choose a placement which suits you?
- What makes a volunteering organisation ‘ethical’?
- What are the questions that you should ask to ensure you volunteer with the right people and project?
- What should you expect of your ethical volunteering organisation?
- What training and support will you be given?
- How will your money be spent?
- What are some exciting things you might volunteer to do
- 9:30 Registration (access via the library)
- 10am Introduction
- 10:15 Gap Year and International Volunteering Standard (GIVS) and volunteering as ethical tourism.
- 10:45 Film The Voluntourist
- 11:15 Key points from film and group discussion on motivations for volunteering.
- 12:00 How to find the right organisation for you? (ie matching your motivations as discussed above with a suitable placement).
- What makes a volunteering organisation ethical?
- Volunteering with children.
- 1:45 Volunteering opportunities
- 2:45 Panel presentation and discussion / Q&A
- 3:30 Informal discussions with volunteering organisations / networking.
Read more: Should I volunteer Overseas?