This listing has yet to be assessed. Tourism Concern evaluate potential entries in a number of ways, key amongst which is the online form which organisations complete in order to describe the extent to which they meet each of our criteria:
• maintain and strengthen the quality of life in local communities, including social structures and access to resources, amenities and life support systems, avoiding any form of social degradation or exploitation.
• engage and empower local communities in planning and decision making about the management and future development of tourism in their area, in consultation with other stakeholders.
• respect and enhance the historic heritage, authentic culture, traditions, and distinctiveness of host communities
Local Prosperity and Social Equity
• maximize the contribution of tourism to the economic prosperity of the host destination, including the proportion of visitor spending that is retained locally.
• seek a widespread and fair distribution of economic and social benefits from tourism throughout the recipient community, including improving opportunities, income and services available to the poor.
• strengthen the number and quality of local jobs created and supported by tourism, including the level of pay, conditions of service and availability to all without discrimination by gender, race, disability or in other ways.
• maintain and enhance the quality of landscapes, both urban and rural, and avoid the physical and visual degradation of the environment.
• support the conservation of natural areas, habitats, and wildlife, and minimize damage to them.
• minimise use of scarce or non-renewable resources in the development of tourism facilities and to minimise pollution of air, water, land caused by the generation of waste by tourism enterprises and visitors.