Our Academic Network is for institutions who share the same values as us. It is critically important that tourism teaching considers the potential of tourism to be a driver for the positive social change that we believe is necessary, rather than just a means to employment in the tourism industry. Ethical and sustainable tourism is not only becoming more important to employers within the tourism industry but also to international development and human rights organisations, who are seeking graduates with an understanding of tourism as a driver for socio-economic development.
Our Academic Members not only support the work of Tourism Concern but, more importantly, have the opportunity to collaborate on relevant and practical research that can bring real benefits to local people. As Tourism Concern works with partners and community groups in over 20 countries, we are uniquely placed to provide real life examples of how tourism impacts destination communities, which can help your students have a better understanding of these complex issues.
The Academic Membership subscription is £300 a year. This membership funding supports the work of Tourism Concern and provides you with an array of benefits outlined below:
- A guest lecture by the Director of Tourism Concern*
- Monthly newsletter (email)
- Print copies of our reports as they are launched
- 25% discount on student membership for your students.
- Access to our education reports & research plus all past issues of In Focus magazine (via Members Area), along with our specialist online library (being developed).
- Dedicated space on the academic section of our new website – currently attracting 30,000 visitors a month.
- Dedicated section in our monthly newsletter for articles written by members – currently 15,000 people subscribe to our newsletter.
- Priority alerts on our volunteer and internship positions for your students.
- Invitation to our exclusive events.
- Potential for research collaboration.
- Potential engagement with our industry contacts – specifically with ETOG (Ethical Tour Operators Group.)
- Opportunity to link your institution with Tourism Concern and show its commitment to the expansion of ethical tourism practices, consequently attracting students who share the same values.
- Tourism Concern is frequently approached by potential tourism students interested in our opinion about tourism courses – students are referred to our academic membership network.
Academic network pricing:
- Fee is 300gbp for 12 month period: invoicing can be arranged for either the Academic year (August – July), or Calendar year (January – December)
- The academic network includes one guest lecture* for the 12 month period
- Guest lectures are only available to Academic network members.
- Additional lectures are available to academic network members for 40gbp/hr, plus travel expenses.
* Up to three hour lecture is free but travel expenses extra